Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ambiguously Gay Wheels?

Are there gay cars? In the new issue of South Florida Gay News, a weekly newspaper in Fort Lauderdale, there's an article called "Top Five Gay Cars...For Contrarians" which lists five cars to consider for gays and lesbians looking to stand out from the auto pack.  Their suggestions: (2012 BMW 6-Series; 2012 Suzuki Kizashi; 2013 Cadillac ATS, 2012 Kia Optima and the 2012 Jeep Wrangler J8 Pickup)

It got me to wondering, are there cars more popular among gays and lesbians than other drivers?
When I lived in Boston for 10 years, I noticed that most of the gay men I knew usually owned a Volkswagen Jetta or Golf/Rabbit. (Actually, my ex and I both owned Rabbits. I had the white bunny one. He still has the emerald green one.) Jeep Wranglers were also popular with the gents, particularly older fellas on Cape Cod. I also noticed that Subarus as well as VW Beetles provided popular among lesbians in New England.
Down in South Florida, I know a lot of gay men and women who prefer those little auto squirts known as Mini Coopers. (You can squeeze into any parking space in South Beach) while my big Cuban family in greater Miami seems to be partial towards Nissans (Sentras and Altimas.)
 For the record, I own a Jeep Compass (photo to the left), a sporty small SUV wagon which my dealer in Boston told me proved more popular among women than men who prefered its fraternal twin the Jeep Patriot which resembles the rugged former old-school Jeep Cherokee). So I have broken away from my own pack but I used to own a Jeep Wrangler in Boston and Miami.
So what say you, is there such as thing as a gay car?

The most obvious candidate would be the two-seater vehicle that was driven by super heroes Ace and Gary, better known as The Ambiguously Gay Duo, a cartoon that regularly appeared on NBC's Saturday Night Live.  But then wouldn't that make their car an ambiguously gay one?





No comments:

Post a Comment